- Visitors to our website (a “Visitor“),
- Individuals who create a BlackTies account (a “Member“), either directly on the BlackTies website or after being referred to BlackTies.
- Users of our mobile applications.
- Event attendees.
- People who choose to allow BlackTies to send them communications, including email subscriptions.
What Personal Data we collect and why we collect it
While using our Platform, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you.
- We collect your full name, email address, and account log-in credentials when you create a BlackTies account.
- We collect your full name, job title, company name, telephone number, and email address when you complete a form on our website talent portal.
- We collect your full name, email address and other application data such as your resume when you apply for a job at BlackTies.
- We collect information you add to your profile, such as: your resume, social media links, personal biographical details and comments you post in group chats or bulletin boards.
- When you respond to BlackTies emails or surveys we collect your email address, name and any other information you choose to include in the body of your email or responses. If you contact us by phone, we will collect the phone number you use to call us.
You may also choose to submit information to us via other methods, including: (i) in response to marketing or other communications, (ii) through social media or online forums, (iii) through participation in an offer, program or promotion, (iv) in connection with an actual or potential business relationship with us, or (v) by giving us your business card or contact details at trade shows or other events.
You may choose to enhance your BlackTies Member profile with information that could be categorized as “sensitive”, depending on where you live. For example, we ask you to self identify your race and ethnicity when you create your BlackTies account. You do not have to provide this information in order to have a Member profile on BlackTies, but providing this information can help you to get more from our services, including helping Employers utilizing our services to find you. It’s your choice whether to provide this sensitive information, and if you do, we request that you please be mindful that it will become a part of your BlackTies profile.
Usage Data is collected automatically when using our Sites or Platforms.
Usage Data may include information such as your device’s internet protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Sites or Platforms that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When you access our Sites or Platforms by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Sites or Platforms or when you access our Sites or Platforms by or through a mobile device.
When visitors leave comments on our Sites or Platforms we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
We may send you email marketing communications about BlackTies products and services, invite you to participate in our events or surveys, or otherwise communicate with you for marketing purposes, provided that we do so in accordance with the consent requirements that are imposed by applicable law. For example, when we collect your business contact details through our participation at trade shows or other events, we may use the information to follow-up with you regarding an event, send you information that you have requested on our products and services and, with your permission, include you on our marketing information campaigns.
Who we share your data with
a. Service providers.
We share Personal Data with a limited number of our service providers. We have service providers that provide services on our behalf, such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, and auditing services. These service providers may need to access Personal Data to perform their services. We authorize such service providers to use or disclose the Personal Data only as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We require such service providers to contractually commit to protect the security and confidentiality of Personal Data they process on our behalf.
b. Business partners.
We share Personal Data with business partners when this is necessary to provide our services to you.
We share Personal Data with Employers who use the BlackTies services for recruiting activities.
d. Corporate transactions.
e. Legal compliance and harm prevention.
We share Personal Data as we believe necessary: (i) to comply with applicable law; (ii) to enforce our contractual rights; (iii) to protect the rights, privacy, safety and property of BlackTies, you or others; and (iv) to respond to requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, and other public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
We will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of Our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
What rights you have over your data
You have choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Data:
a. You may opt out of receiving electronic communications from us.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us, you may opt-out via the unsubscribe link included in such emails. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages that are required to provide you with our services.
b. You may view or change your account Personal Data.
If you would like to review, correct, or update Personal Data that you have previously disclosed to us, you may do so by signing in to your BlackTies account and accessing your profile dashboard, or by contacting us at [email protected]
c. Your data protection rights.
Depending on your location and the law there, you may have the following rights with regard to your Personal Data:
- The right to request confirmation of whether BlackTies processes Personal Data relating to you, and if so, to request a copy of that Personal Data;
- The right to request that BlackTies rectifies or updates your Personal Data that is inaccurate, incomplete or outdated;
- The right to request that BlackTies erase your Personal Data in certain circumstances provided by law;
- The right to request that BlackTies restrict the use of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as while BlackTies considers another request that you have submitted (including a request that BlackTies make an update to your Personal Data);
- The right to request that we export to another company, where technically feasible, your Personal Data that we hold in order to provide services to you; and
- Where the processing of your Personal Data is based on your previously given consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You may also have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data on grounds relating to your particular situation.
In general, you may log into your BlackTies account in order to: (i) obtain a copy of your Personal Data, or (ii) rectify, edit or update your Personal Data. You may have your Personal Data about your BlackTies Account removed from our database by logging into your account, navigating to the Settings section, and clicking on “Delete Account”. This will remove your profile from the BlackTies Platform within 30 days after that request is initiated. Please contact BlackTies as described in the Contact Us section below with other questions or for more information about your rights. If you are an Applicant of an Employer, please contact the Employer directly with questions about your rights with respect to your information.
International Data Transfers
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the UK or Switzerland, we comply with applicable laws to provide an adequate level of data protection for the transfer of your Personal Data to the US. We use EU Standard Contractual Clauses with a data recipient outside the EEA or the UK where applicable law requires us to ensure that an international data transfer is governed by a data transfer mechanism.
Notice to California Residents
This section provides additional details about the personal information we collect about California consumers as well as the rights of California consumers under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
a. How We Collect, Use, and Disclose your Personal Information.
b. Your CCPA Rights and Choices.
As a California consumer and subject to certain limitations under the CCPA, you have choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information:
- Exercising the right to know. You may request, up to twice in a 12-month period, the following information about the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months:
- the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information;
- the business or commercial purpose for which we collected the personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information; and
- the categories of personal information about you that we disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed that information for a business purpose.
- Exercising the right to delete. You may request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you, subject to certain limitations under applicable law.
- Exercising the right to opt-out from a sale. You may request to opt-out of any “sale” of your personal information that may take place. As described in Advertising, we do not use, share, rent or sell the Personal Data of our Members for interest-based advertising. We do not sell or rent the Personal Data of our Employers or Applicants.
- Non-discrimination. The CCPA provides that you may not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
To submit a request to exercise any of the rights described above, you may contact BlackTies at [email protected]. We may need to verify your identity before responding to your request, such as verifying that the email address from which you send the request matches your email address that we have on file. If you are an Applicant of an Employer, please direct your requests directly to the Employer with whom you shared your personal information.
Links to Other Websites